Saturday, June 19, 2010

Phase Two: Complete!

Our day started at the National Museum of Art. There were so many amazing things to see. I was pretty impressed with myself when I recognized a Pablo Picasso piece. It took a lot of self control for me to not pose ridiculously with all the statues. However I did stay true to myself and snuck in a few silly poses every now and then.
Kayleigh was on cloud nine in the art museums. Art for Kayleigh is like ASL for me. The picture to the right is Kayleigh with one of her favorite paintings. A beautiful piece called Woman Holding A Balance.
This next piece of art cause quiet the conversation between Kayleigh and I. The painting is entitled A Game Of Hot Cockles. We spent some time trying to figure out what in the world Hot Cockles meant. We then noticed a young man in the painting with his head seemingly under a girls shirt. . . Later with the help of the Internet I was able to learn that Hot Cockles is a game where you kneel down, people punch you and you try to figure out who hit you where. . . call me crazy but that really doesn't sound like fun, and it still doesn't explain what in the world that young man is doing down there. Oh well. . .

After the art gallery we went to the Holocaust museum. You can't take pictures there. Not that I would have wanted to. I'm not sure what words to use to describe the museum. It was heart wrenching. The images were simply unimaginable. I still can't believe that humans were capable of doing such horrible things to each other. I actually wasn't able to finish the museum. There was probably still about 10 minutes left but i just couldn't do it. It was such an over load of awful emotions. It was strange I started this morning seeing the beauty that human hands could create, then I spent the afternoon seeing the terror and destruction that human hands could bring.
Next we went to Arlington Cemetery.

We were able to see the changing of the guard. It was beautiful. Beautiful in a different way then the art we had seen this morning. There was something really profound about the amount of respect and honor these men showed.

While walking through out Arlington Kayleigh and I saw many names on the headstones. Kayleigh and I actually ran across both of our last names. We also found the names of a few other people . . . it was kind of like the tombstones were mocking us.

After walking around Arlington Kayleigh and I were both exhausted. It was about time for some food.

We decided to eat at Harry's, a nice restaurant just off E street. We defiantly were in need of food. We were starting to hit that crazy/pissy phase again.
t
We decided since its Kayleighs last night here that we should celebrate with some frozen yogurt. It was wonderful. Once again. . . I'm writing about food. How uninteresting is that.
With it being Kayleighs last night and all we figured we'd better hit up the last of the MUST SEES. The white house. The search for the white house wasn't as easy as you would think it would be. We ran across a scary spider and a rocking party . . . but no white house.

Finally the white house was in sight.
It's strange that tonight is my last night with Kayleigh here. I guess that means that this phase of the vacation is over. I can't believe how fast a week has gone by. I hope time slows down. I'm really enjoying my break from reality. Even though I really miss my family, friends and young women, I'm still am really enjoying my time out here and I don't want it to be be over any time soon.

3 comments:

  1. i think this would have been my favorite day to be in DC with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep goin', man. you tell those doubters over there how it really is with us mormon folk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOO FUN!!! i would love to be there with ya dear!

    ReplyDelete