Saturday, May 8, 2010

I wouldn't have to work hard.Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum. If I were a biddy biddy rich,Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man.

Gallaudet finally took my money! Normally I wouldn't be happy about someone taking a large sum of money out of my bank account however in this instance I am thrilled! It just means that I am one step closer.

Its funny how this journey has already taught me things even though I haven't left yet. So far what I've learned from this trip to DC is how to MANAGE MONEY! For example, I've had pretty much a full time job since August. In August I felt like I was living pay check to pay check. I'd get paid every two weeks and it would always be right as a was about to draw into my line of credit. In January I decided to go to DC, that's when I started budgeting my money. I decided to give myself 50 dollars for every two weeks. Keep in mind that includes money for gas, and filling up my car cost about 35-40 dollars. So really I was giving myself ten or fifteen dollars of fun money. When I first made this plan I honestly didn't think I could do it. After all I was spending my whole pay check every two weeks. Now I was planning on only spending a small fraction of my pay check.

Whats crazy though is how well its worked out! At first it was hard, I had become very accustomed to going out to eat, seeing lots of movies and buying what ever clothes I wanted. Now days I don't see as many movies, eat as much fast food (which is good for me in more then one way) or do as much shopping but I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I still have fun, I've just learned how to have fun without breaking the bank.

Managing money is stressful. I have learned that, and I'm sure as I get older it will get harder and harder. However I am really thankful that this trip has taught me how to budget as well as taught me how to pay a faithful tithe.

I've always been a tithe payer, its never been a big deal, mostly because money wasn't a big deal. I don't think I can honestly say I even paid out of faith it was just more I paid out of habit. Once money became a bigger deal to me I noticed myself actually thinking about the money I was "Sacrificing." I had heard many stories from people saying that they didn't know how they were going to pay for houses, groceries, car payments but they would pay their tithing and some how it would all work out. I decided to lean on their testimonies of tithing and now that I have I don't regret it at all. Sure I'm the one who did the planning the budgeting, but for me to accomplish what I had planned took a drastic change in my habits and any time I make a drastic change for the better I can't help but feel like the Lord was there helping me along the way.

In the play Fiddler On The Roof Tevye exclaims, "Would is ruin some vast eternal plan, if I were a wealthy man?" I can't answer that question for Tevye, all I know is that if this trip was just handed to me I wouldn't have learned how to budget my money. A skill which I'm sure I will refine and use for the rest of my life. In that way this journey has already taken effect on my "vast eternal plan."Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum!

1 comment:

  1. that was a very good and insightful post, sadie! look at you. all grown up. :)

    my wittle sadie is all growed up. [sniffle]

    ReplyDelete