Sunday, May 16, 2010

Be Tho An Example

1 Timothy 4:12 "Let no man despise they youth; but be tho an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

Today we had a lesson about being a witness of Christ. In the lesson Jessica told a story from her personal experience. When she was sixteen she had to opportunity to go on a youth service project. She would be traveling to the other side of Canada. Most likely there wouldn't be any other Members of the Church in her group. Before leaving she prayed that she might be able to have a missionary experience while serving with this youth group. Upon arriving she meet one other girl who was LDS, together they sparked the interested of one of their peers. This peer took the missionary discussions and was later converted to the gospel. Jessica got just what she had asked for, a missionary experience. With tears in her eyes she expressed how wonderful it felt to bring the gospel to someones life.

Her story got me thinking about myself and the upcoming trip to DC. I am very aware that most of the people I come in contact with will not be familiar with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and if they are there is a good possibility that they have been misinformed leading to negative thoughts. I'm aware that I will be put into positions where I will have to explain myself and my beliefs and I feel I am fully prepared for that. However I haven't given much thought about actually bringing someone to the gospel.

I guess that area has aways been something that is difficult for me. I have no problem sharing how I feel or what I believe, I just feel awkward when I do it outside of a church setting. I don't want my non-mormon friends to feel pressured. Mormon or not they are my friends and I love them. I would never try to change them just so we could be the same.

However, I do love my church. I believe in its teachings. I love Christ and all he has done for me. I personally feel that through the LDS church I can best become like Christ and be able to reach my highest level of exaltation and happiness. The peace, hope and joy that comes from these beliefs are beyond worth to me. I wish this same kind of peace, hope and joy with anyone I come in contact with, especially my friends.

This lesson got me thinking, should I be praying for a missionary experience? I know I will be an example of what I believe. Obviously I should aways be an example, but maybe I should want to do more. I'm not going to lie I am afraid to ask for a missionary experience. I know I shouldn't be, why should I be afraid to give someone a chance at peace, hope and joy. Maybe it comes down to being vulnerable. My religion is the core of who i am, if I truly open up to someone about my religion and they reject it, there is a good chance I will feel like they have rejected me.

Then again, when I think about my life I know I couldn't have gotten through it will out my faith in God the Father, Jesus Christ and all the prophets past and present. How selfish is it to not share that peace with people simply because I am afraid.

I don't plan to be forceful or overbearing, I simply plan on being honest. This is me, this is who I am, this is what I believe and this is what makes me happy. I hope that I am given the opportunity that meet someone who is in search of that happiness. I will try my best to follow that charge laid out in 1 Timothy 4:16 "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear you."

1 comment:

  1. i think it could also stem from the fact that you hate not being liked. (or is it someone else that hates that? i forget.) fear and faith cannot reside together. don't let it get the best of you.

    ReplyDelete